by Daniel J. Graeber
Washington (UPI) Nov 28, 2017
The Keystone oil pipeline running through North America is operating at a reduced pressure following a mid-November spill in South Dakota, the operator said.
TransCanada said the Keystone repair and restart plan was approved by the U.S. Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration with no objections. Starting Tuesday, the pipeline will resume operations at reduced pressure.
"We are communicating plans to our customers and will continue working closely with them as we begin to return to normal operating conditions," the company stated. "We will also comply with any future PHMSA orders and requirements as a result of this incident to ensure the integrity of the pipeline."
The company closed down much of the network in North America in mid-November after reporting a release of about 5,000 barrels of oil in rural South Dakota. The company shut the system down within minutes of recording a drop in pressure on the network. About 20 percent of the spilled oil has been recovered so far.
TransCanada has pulled the faulty section from the 2017 out of the ground and sent it on to the PHMSA for investigation. The Keystone pipeline extends from Alberta, Canada, to Cushing, Okla., and to Patoka, Ill.
An area resident in South Dakota discovered the release of about 400 barrels from the Keystone network last year. Federal investigators said the April 2016 release came from a "weld anomaly" on the pipeline and oil had been leaking from the pipeline at a rate of two drops per minute for an undetermined length of time.
Construction on the pipeline, which can carry as much as 590,000 barrels of oil per day, began in 2008. TransCanada aims to expand access to facilitate U.S. southern port deliveries through its Keystone XL pipeline, a planned 830,000 bpd line that cleared a regulatory hurdle in Nebraska last week.
Sandy Fielden, the director of oil and products research for Morningstar, said in an emailed research note that Keystone XL's fate is still uncertain.
"Keystone XL still has to win landowner approval for a new route through Nebraska and requires a final investment decision by TransCanada that is likely contingent on shipper commitment," he said.
Washington (UPI) Nov 27, 2017
For an estimated $1.45 billion, Norwegian energy company Statoil said it was taking the lead in offshore developments after French major Total stepped aside. French supermajor Total said Monday it agreed to sell off its entire 51 percent stake in the Martin Linge field to Statoil. The Norwegian company said the field's infrastructure was modern and production costs would be low. ... read more
All About Oil and Gas News at OilGasDaily.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|