by Daniel J. Graeber
Washington (UPI) Oct 24, 2017
An agency charged with part of the vetting process for a crude oil pipeline through Minnesota pressed its case that plans by Enbridge are no longer necessary.
The state Public Utilities Commission continued hearings in St. Paul on plans by Enbridge to spend more than $7 billion to overhaul sections of its Line 3 pipeline system that runs from Canada through Minnesota.
Enbridge said replacements and upgrades to the 50-year-old system are the most efficient way to ensure the infrastructure is reliable. Enbridge added that state environmental reviews found the overhaul would be better than keeping the existing network in service.
In more than 125 pages of testimony, Kate O'Connell, an energy regulation manager at the Minnesota Department of Commerce, said it doesn't appear Enbridge actually needs the overhaul to boost capacity on the broader network.
"Refiners in the Minnesota District have been operating and continue to operate near capacity," she said.
The company said the overall demand for fuels in Minnesota and the broader energy sector warrants the infrastructure, even if demand were to decline. In its own testimony, the company stressed that operating a 50-year-old pipeline that has a regular maintenance program carries more potential risk of a release than a "newly constructed, modern pipeline."
The State Department under President Donald Trump said last week that Enbridge could move forward with plans to build a three-mile section of its Alberta Clipper oil pipeline across the national border. Construction on the entire network to a terminal in Wisconsin began in 2010 and Enbridge had used existing corridors to facilitate the shipment of nearly 900,000 barrels of oil per day.
The company three years ago connected Alberta Clipper to its existing Line 3 pipeline through Minnesota while it waited for approval for the new cross-border section. Enbridge now says it needs to make improvements on its Line 3 system that runs from Canada through Minnesota.
Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said he was waiting until the entire review process was completed, adding the Public Utilities Commission was independent of his administration. The Public Utilities Commission is expected to make a decision on the project by early 2018.
Ann Arbor MI (SPX) Oct 24, 2017
Despite widespread concern about potential human health impacts from hydraulic fracturing, the lifetime toxic chemical releases associated with coal-generated electricity are 10 to 100 times greater than those from electricity generated with natural gas obtained via fracking, according to a new University of Michigan study. The study is a comparative analysis of the harmful health effects ... read more
All About Oil and Gas News at OilGasDaily.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|